Tuesday, April 01, 2014

"Follow Me as I Follow Christ..."  

The Sad Post-Modern Twist on Mentoring.

Really?
So here is the question. Is it the responsibility of the student or the responsibility of the teacher to initiate the mentoring? Whose job is it to chase after the other... to communicate... to share?

This idea seems really simple. But I don't think it is. Why, may I ask, does this generation insist that there are no mentors available, and that no one wants to mentor them...? 

You know how this goes, it usually starts with the post modern church leadership decrying the fact that no one is willing to spend the time... no one is willing to invest in their lives and their ministry.  But maybe there is more to this... Is it possible that the post-modern leadership structure has developed a self serving model that no longer reflects true mentoring?

Is it possible that the post-modern church leaders no longer understand the truth of the verse, "Follow me as I follow Christ..." or have they considered the Jewish proverb, "May you be covered by the dust of your Rabbi." The implication is that the student chases the mentor.

Having been raised in a generation where everything has been given easily and without cost, do they assume that the process of mentoring would simply be handed to them? God did not setup the growth of man's character as an easy process nor a quick one, but rather one that is tedious and painful, lengthy and difficult. You have to follow, and that requires work.

So... If you wish to be mentored then find a person who you believe has the character and qualities that you want to emulate and chase after them. The mentor will be doing what they have been called to do. That's it. They will not be out looking for you. If you believe in them and their character, follow them, get close to them, watch them, ask them questions and then listen to what they say.

 
QUICK... HE WENT THAT WAY!

The mentor may not stop to wait for you. But rather they will look back over their shoulder and notice you there, and then ...pick up the pace, checking to see if you are willing to follow.

As I mentor, I have only limited opportunity and energy to invest.  I keep in mind the end of this story, the end of my life, and I have to accomplish the task that Christ has set out for me. But I am more than willing to have someone run along side and to pass the baton.

So as I said to one person recently... after they asked to be mentored, "...better buy some running shoes..." and I turned and walked away. 

(p.s. They picked up their books and ran after me... a good start!)


1 comment:

Brian S said...

Love it!

My photo
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
I'm just someone who desires all that God has for me. - To follow God with integrity. - To relate to people honestly. - To live a life to it's totality.