Monday, July 21, 2014


"Once a Wildcat Always a Wildcat."

I've been asked recently why I have taken the time to be the Chaplain of the Edmonton Wildcat Junior Football Team. People have come up to me and asked, "When in your schedule are you going to fit this in?" "Why a football team and why be a chaplain?" These questions were ones that I have been thinking about for a while now, and as time passed my thoughts became clearer and reasons became more apparent. 



You see when first asked by our Team President if I would consider this
opportunity it was the excitement and the thrill of being close once again to the action that caught my attention. The dirt, the fight, and the victories were all a great motivation to join the team and honestly this still thrills me. As the team prepares for battle my heart prepares with them. As the game struggle begins and the team breaks through to victories my spirit is carried along, challenged by every setback, saddened by every injury and thrilled by every touchdown.

But now a new motivation is beginning to take precedence. You see, over the past year I have been honoured to be able to work along side, or meet the Wildcats from past and present. Men of honour, dedicated to each other, and to a common goal. Men who know the challenges that lie before them but without hesitation step into the fight, step up to the challenge and push through to victory. 


Now you might surmise that I am solely speaking about the football games with all their drama and excitement, but I'm not. 

Rather, I am speaking about the men of integrity that I have met in this city who have, at one time, been a Wildcat. Businessmen, lawyers, bankers and civic leaders all who at one time wore either the Edmonton Wildcat or the Edmonton Maple Leaf Jersey.

Leaders... Men among men with names like Marco, Ryan and Dave and of course Big Al all speak to us. Men whose legacy lives on beyond the time in uniform, beyond the 60 minutes on a field, to the time when they would carry those around them forward into the future. 

Men who give more then they ever expect to get back. Men who have lived their lives for others. 
Men who have sacrificed in the hope that another would win. Hmm somehow these attributes seem familiar. Almost Christ-like.

It is for these men that I stand on the sidelines and offer my heart to the new team of men. It is for the greatest leader who ever lead a team of men that I do what I do. It is for those who have come before that I give my all to encourage the team, support the team but above all pray for the team as this years men suit-up

You see the Wildcats (Maple Leafs)...


... have not solely been in the business of making a football team... 


...but rather making real men who play football... 

...and while they are at it, win championships. 


So as we are about to once again put on the pads and take the field. I call on the men of renown, the Wildcats of Old to once again rise up and call out these young men to the legacy that is theirs for the taking. Join us in battle once again, and challenge us from the stands. Further, I call on the team of today to answer the call and find within themselves the character and integrity that it means to be a wildcat. Then we will be men among boys... remember...


Oh yeah... that is why I'm a Wildcat!


No comments:

My photo
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
I'm just someone who desires all that God has for me. - To follow God with integrity. - To relate to people honestly. - To live a life to it's totality.