Monday, December 11, 2006



AND THE TRAX PLAYED ON...

IRON SHARPENING VS THE ILLUSION OF COMMUNITY - PART II

This morning I saw over 370 children on a single stage in a single church singing songs about a child in a manger.
...Hundreds of pictures taken... and the cd trax played on.
...grown men crawling around on a concrete floor to gain a better photo shot location... and the cd trax played on.
...mothers crying though out the church as they watched their little Johnny, Suzy or what ever the kids name was...and the cd trax played on.
...Grandparents who had never been in church this year, thrilled to the sight of little Billy Bob swing his arms back and forth like a washing machine somehow mimicking the actions of a cradle...and the cd trax played on.
... and he/she (the kid) stood there like a deer in headlights ...and the cd trax played on...

I stood there watching this organized confusion...this chaos...this riot of children somehow attempting to form what could weakly be described as a choir, but more accurately described as a mob and I had no choice to respond... as only one who had a clear understanding of the challenge of the generation next issues could respond...

I smiled.

This community was alive and well... and the emerging generation where were they? They were all down at the Starbucks building a different community...with those who were just like them... They were sitting in a mindless circle supposedly expanding their thinking by talking about issues that "really matter" while their younger brothers... nieces...nephews... and entire families enjoyed the ritual of the Christmas concert.
Their explanation, was as simplistic as their hearts. It's too contrived one said... too planned... said another. Indoctrination...said yet another. Look Dave even the trax were controlled...it wasn't real music.

And yet it was real... you see often times under the guise of authentic community we underestimate the place of rituals and traditions. These timeless events score card for us the innings of our lives... They mark the moments of passage from childhood thru young adult thinking to maturity. And it is these very same traditions that provide the foundation upon which real honest appraisal and thinking can occur. For it is from the solid foundation of people who know where they have come from, that the ground breaking visionaries of the future can rise. Not the momentary flash in the pan thinkers, momentary genius glimpse's but the steady culture changing men and women who know and run to the battle because the have the ground leveled under them through the lives of those who have come before. Those brave forefathers have built the structure upon which real change and community can be formed.

and the cd trax played on...

But instead these "relevant thinkers" sat and discussed how they were not a part of the music...did not want to sing...and would never be a part of the community of people who sang to the trax.

I thought as I listened and reflected about the music cd which blared the background trax for the kids to sing along, how similar the trax is to the music of our lives. We all have the same background music playing... you know the tune... We live, we grow, we love, we let go and we die... yeah that music. Community is found in the music... in singing along with the trax that has gone on for decades
... the music of God.

How much of this vane struggle for community and being apart of something is simply an attempt by those seeking to avoid the bigger issues in life. And just like authentic relationships that will stand the test of time and struggle so will the music of our lives. Together we live our lives to the very same changeless melody of pending death. And it is against this backdrop that I sat this morning...smiling...

Have a great Christmas season...I'm going to get a candy bag from Mr Kuhn...just like I did when I was eight.

"Be near me Lord Jesus I ask Thee to say...close by me forever and love me I pray...bless all the dear children in Thy tender care and take us to heaven to live with Thee there."

16 comments:

Boomer said...

Oooh, controversial...I like like it.

You speak so matter of fact here. While I agree with some statements, it's those I don't that I will comment on.

Community comes in all shapes and sizes. One community is no more or less valid than another. Grown men crawling on the floor with cameras in hand and moms crying, kids singing is community. The generation between those groups working out existence at Starbucks, community.

You can't become a great visionary by doing everything that has been done before, that's a great follower?

I'll check back for response...Merry Christmas:)

Dave Wood said...

It's not the following that I'm referring to as the foundation of great leadership but rather the realization of the brevity of life...and how that effects the daily walk.

My blog is a grind on the poorness (rather than the richness) of the community of people who live without eternity in the sights. Although their community may be as valid...it may be (my position)notably a lot less rich....thick...and juicy.

Dave Wood said...

I edited my original blog by removing the word false before community...

I may have been too harsh with my criticism with them.

Boomer said...

It's ok, I like the black and whiteness of the answer, makes for good conversation.

A couple questions for you,

Should believers have a seperate community from those without eternity in mind?

Is it really reasonable to expect outsiders to join that community on their own?

Does age have anything to do with community?
Does community

Dave Wood said...

Here is my shot at your questions...

I think having eternity on your mind has nothing what so ever to do with being a believer. I was thinking that eternal mindedness has to do with your thinking...not with your faith, age nor your position inside or outside of a faith community.

With this being my definition of eternity mindedness yes I believe that anyone who has eternity or legacy on their mind has is a member of this community of likeminded people.

Age always has everything to do with successful community but little to do with personal growth or development. Culturally around the world the western mindset is one of the very few who separate the generations in an attempt to break the larger community in the hopes to build a smaller more easily impressionable community. (my opinion)

I think that I'm saying that we (the emerging generation) is more easily influenced by the winds of change because of the disconnect we have to our heritage and our responsibility to the future. Coke loves this...they bank on it in fact!

Boomer said...

I like the whole eternal mindedness thing. It seems an awareness of something outside of the here and now mantality, perhaps openess to something great.

I however have had my quams with community lately. As believers I have gone as far as thinking that sometimes we should not spend nearly as much time in our Christian communities. Some, yes, but not all. I think most of our time should be spent engaged in the communities of non-believers. What do you think? Are we in danger of chronic church overdose?

Dave Wood said...

Absolutely...

As you know I regularly leave the office just so I can go and talk to normal people..

Yes we are most definitely to inward focused..

...would someone please hand me my banjo?

Boomer said...

Who would you say you have your community with? My guess is those inside the church? Do you (and I say you using this conversation as an example) have real community with these normal people?

I'm not sure that church community is something to frown on, but it seems the stronger it gets, the harder it is to reach out to people. What kind of stance should we take on this issue in your opinion?

Boomer said...

P.S. I'll get the jugs ;)

Dave Wood said...

Who would you say you have your community with? My guess is those inside the church? Do you have real community with these normal people?

Community that is tight is not an excuse for being disconnected to everyone else
... There are circles that we all travel in
... Titles that we all wear.
Participation in one circle does not exclude us from another.
Just as being called Dad does not exclued me from being called son.

Therefore I continually seek our real relationships with whomever I touch... Reporters, cameramen, actors or whoever God drops in my path.

Angela said...

Dave, you make some very thought provoking comments. Yet, the teacher in me just couldn't remain quiet about the error in grammar. You incorrectly used the word vane. The context of your blog would need the spelling 'vain'. I checked the dictionary before writing this response.

Dave Wood said...

Was that Vane of you to notice...?

oh sorry that was vain... or was that vein...now I'm really confused.

thanks for the edit... I sit and write usually without stopping...to let my thoughts flow...so I'm always interested in an edit or two.

By the way... Angela you have no blogs on your site to edit...hmmmm

Angela said...

Well, my blog is brand new, give me a few days and there will be something to edit! P.S. the Tree went very well this year!!

Dave Wood said...

Excellent!

I would love to see some pics.

Rob Petkau said...

I've been busy - so just read this all today - so I'll wade in now that everyone has moved on...

Good conversation!
Dave, I feel that what you describe and hope for in the community of generations, is like a language that has not been effectively passed down. Now those who are younger unfortunately want to seperate their communal faith journmey from the rich traditions of the past (in this case - a church Christmas concert). Mostly because - it's not theirs, and they don't get it.
I think this is because Youth have not been taught how to think for themselves, but rather - forced to do as the older ones do... "don't ask questions, and don't cross our pre-set boundaries."
The emerging generation is dying to see if you can effectively follow God in a way that looks completely different than what we know of as church.

But all is not lost. The journey itself breeds an interdependance among generations. We just have to find new ways to foster it.

Dave Wood said...

We are still talking about this thought so...no...you're not too late..

I could not agree with you more... the generation that is upcoming has spent so little time with their parents that there has been no transfer of value which is to accompany the rituals and traditions that our culture experiences.

Now in the vacuum of meaninglessnesss the rituals seem hollow and empty where the truth is that they are filled with rich meaning and vibrant life.

Hmmm...sounds like it's time for a new blog.

My photo
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
I'm just someone who desires all that God has for me. - To follow God with integrity. - To relate to people honestly. - To live a life to it's totality.