Thursday, April 06, 2006

THE LOST ART OF SAYING GOODBYE
I believe that there are few people, if any, well versed in this art. We have perfected the art of hello, today and excitement, but fail miserably in the art of goodbye, tomorrow and sorrow. It just seems that my Lord is at present teaching me this lost art.
My ignorance of my heart and health was the first to which I said goodbye. Sadly I watched as just over a week of my life removed more from me than I even realized.
Secondly I watched as I said goodbye to my father. A man of eighty in his body but 25 in his heart. A man who's personal integrity, passion for life and the mountains was the stuff of legends. (that he was pleased to relate to you if you were willing to listen. )
And now thirdly, I watched as the position of 13 years fades to black and the curtain lowers on the days in the sun. Lowers on the times of diapers and suckies...elementary schools and piano lessons... learning to walk and talk, but now raises on youth events and pizza parties...high school and band rehearsals... dating and marriage.
Yes... goodbyes are difficult.
I wonder how God perceived ours fretting about our goodbyes. Does he solely view them from his side and with his glasses placed at the end of his nose...shaking his head and saying..."my son don't worry about it... in time you will understand" or does he grieve with us as we simply cannot see through the veil into tomorrow and we fret and worry and grieve and cry. I wonder.
Goodbyes are simply not something that you get good at... It's an art that God himself is not good at. I'm sorry but I think that even God the father is bad at it. He's never had to do it for long and when separated from his son... he covered his creation and shook it in response to the feeling. No...even he is not good at goodbye...
This is an art form that is more like modern art and less like the classic masters. Throw the paint up on the canvas because it's going to hurt like anything so you might as well let it out, and throw it as hard as you can. In the end the goodbye will not look at all like you thought it would and it is God's responsibility to make it come together. So throw away...let Him deal with it.
So...Goodbye...all of you...I will miss you all tons...but especially you Dad....especially you.

6 comments:

Rob Petkau said...

I know how you feel. See you around bro!

Alberta RULES!!!

Dave Wood said...

Thanks Rob...I know you know...

Anonymous said...

Loved them!

Mom

Dave Wood said...

thanks...mom...

she's so cool...

You gotta love it when your mom knows more about the internet and blogging then you do.

Way to go internet gramma!!

Anonymous said...

I'll miss you too, Pastor Dave, and speaking for all others at E.T. The Singing Christmas Tree and E.T. just will not be the same without you! I will miss you all. Take good care and hope to see you again very very soon!

Anonymous said...

anonymous: make sure you DO go and visit. don't leave it too long.
I've been talking about visiting Chez Wood for 13 years, and still haven't made it. came close once though. dang stupid ferry schedule :P
ah well.
soon, dave, soon.
Chris

My photo
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
I'm just someone who desires all that God has for me. - To follow God with integrity. - To relate to people honestly. - To live a life to it's totality.