Monday, April 10, 2006

ROUTE 66

"If you should plan to motor west. Travel my way take the highway that's the best...get your kicks on route 66."

We did. My father and I.

The year was 1993 and it was January, and we had the dubious task of making it across the continent from London Ontario to Nanaimo British Columbia in the heart of a Canadian Winter. As this climate can do... it stormed to the point that all roads heading west were closed. The Yellowhead, the Thompson, and the Trans Canada Highways were all completely closed, as were the northern routes in the US... leaving us with few if any options. Now we all know that the shortest distance between two points may be, as the mathematicians tell you, a straight line but it is often not the one that the Lord takes you on.

So when I asked my father what we should do he simply began to sing. Yup...sing. Route 66. Your kidding right dad? That would take us to Sacramento California? I said. "Yes, he said, "...and it will be a great trip...history in the making". So we set out. Six days and thousands of miles later we arrived on Vancouver Island via Ontario, Illinois, Missouri, Oklahoma, Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, California, Oregon, and Washington State. And we had the time of our lives.

Life's lines are often winding and seemingly not really pointed at the goal that you intended. As it was when we travelled... but I would love to go back to that car and take just one more trip with my hero. Just one more moment to laugh so hard that we almost lose control of the wheel. Just one more lunch at a greasy spoon truck stop...just one more...anything.

When I went to London from Edmonton we travelled together...when I went to Nanaimo from London we travelled together...but this time...on April 30th. I leave alone.

Someone once said that life is not about arriving but it is rather a journey. If that is true I would like to encourage each of you to take a trip... get behind the wheel of a car with someone you love...and talk, laugh, joke and enjoy each other. Now...before it's too late...or you will find yourself on the long road of life...alone.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Someone once said that life is not about arriving but it is rather a journey. If that is true I would like to encourage each of you to take a trip... get behind the wheel of a car with someone you love...and talk, laugh, joke and enjoy each other. Now...before it's too late...or you will find yourself on the long road of life...alone."-Quoted-

Many times.. the roads that ive taken the drives that ive taken. some with you some with out you.. the ones with you rocked my world. you being a loving person you are pastor dave you made my "teenage" years alot more stable.and i thank you for that.. now that your leaving on your own your "students" are gonna need to stand by them selves and take their own journy with out the loving face that we all look for when returning. Pastor Dave i love you alot. thanks for always being the rock that i thought i never needed. but infact.. needed the most.
~Rose.~

Dave Wood said...

Always remember that God is the reason for any hope that I have. I have nothing to offer anyone outside of what God does through me, in me, but mostly inspite of me.

So smile clearly if God can use me...he can use you too.

Anonymous said...

wow. thirteen years. it seems like not that terribly long ago we were sitting in Dave Morley's livingroom watching TNG or DS9 or something, and you were getting ready to START that trip west.
eventually we will head west to visit. now of course we won't have to fly QUITE as far, not QUITE as long. get that guest room ready. I'll give you a bit of time. not 13 years though. ;)
Chris

My photo
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
I'm just someone who desires all that God has for me. - To follow God with integrity. - To relate to people honestly. - To live a life to it's totality.